Eggplants are on! It’s another polarising vegetable, isn’t it? I grew up on a very Anglo diet and never heard of or saw an eggplant until I was… I dunno… an adult at least.
That makes eggplant a challenge for me. But I have friends who lurrrve eggplant, so help is close at hand. While I’m still working eggplant out, Kat is all over it and put this little beauty of a dish together this week. It even includes fennel… another of those polarising vegetables. Double winning!
Unlike eggplant, I really don’t understand why fennel is so controversial. It’s the most marvellous thing. I only discovered it within the last five years. I was dubious at first, but now I’m mad for it. Raw or roasted, I just love it.
If you’re still on the fence about either veg, this is a great recipe to try. Not the prettiest dish, but certainly delicious!
Stuffed eggplantPrint This
- 2 medium to large eggplants, topped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 extra teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried or a small handful of fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried or small handful of fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can white or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 to 15 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice the eggplants lengthwise, score the flesh in a diamond pattern, without poking through the skin.
- Brush 1 teaspoon of the oil on each eggplant half and place them cut side down on the baking paper. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in your favourite frying pan.
- Add the fennel, oregano, thyme, garlic and salt and cook over medium to high heat for 5 minutes, until it starts to caramelise.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, until the fennel starts to soften.
- Add the beans, cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Top the roasted eggplant with the fennel and white bean mixture, sprinkle with the parsley and serve warm.